- Hearing is a sensory experience that gathers sound waves indiscriminately. We can hear something without choosing to listen.
- Listening is a voluntary activity that includes interpreting or processing that sound.
When listening, always:
- Keep an open mind.
- Maintain eye contact and show interest.
- Listen for the central themes.
- Consider the speaker’s nonverbal behaviors and tone of voice.
While listening, you should avoid:
- Being judgmental.
- Interrupting the speaker.
- Formulating a rebuttal.
- Distorting the message based on your own beliefs.